Having immense relieving effects on the digestive tracts of human beings, yogurt is a dairy ingredient, best suited for Vata prakruti people. Can be taken by Pitta constitution individuals- when a little diluted and by Kapha prakruti individuals- even more diluted. Low in fat content, yogurt clubbed with warm spices, has even more magical effects on the process of digestion. A cup of yogurt after a meal can help you fight indigestion or overeating.
Season & Dosha
Let us look into a quick and simple yogurt recipe, which can be served as an appetizer as well as a main dish. It is the yogurt rice- perfect for Vata Constitution. Can be relished at anytime of the year!
This recipe takes merely 20 minutes, when you have all ingredients at home.
- For four servings:
- 4 bowls boiled rice
- 2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- 500 grams yogurt, whipped till smooth
- 1 tablespoon refined sunflower oil
- 10-15 almonds for garnishing (optional)
- Salt as per taste
Method of Preparation
- The oil is heated in a deep pan
- Black mustard seeds are added and sauteed until they pop
- Following this, the boiled rice is added to the pan and mixed well with the tempering
- After the rice is mixed well, the whipped yogurt is emptied into the same pan and integrated well with the rice
- The yogurt rice is allowed to cook for another 5 minutes. Overcooking after adding yogurt will make the dish bitter
- The prepared astringent yogurt rice is emptied into 4 serving bowls and garnished with whole almonds
Chopped cucumber can be added to the recipe after preparing the mustard tempering. It gives a fuller meal. This dish can be consumed all by itself and needs no side dish to enhance its taste. But if you want, you can club it with a sprouted salad.
Low in calories, each serving provides 370 calories. People who are lactose intolerant must avoid eating this food preparation.