The beans and fennel has their own importance in Ayurveda as they help pacifying the Kapha dosha, the main culprit for deposition of the plaques in the blood arteries. Here is the recipe that is known for its antihypertensive and anti-cholesterol properties as said by Indian Ayurvedic practitioners.
Time for Preparation: – About 20 minutes for Vegetable Mix and Soup 15 minutes
Time for Cooking: – Approximately half an hour
Serves number of person: – 4 persons
Vital Statistics: –
• Kilo Calories: 155 (657 kJ
• Fat – 1 gm. Of which less than 1 gm. Saturated
• Sodium: 550 mg.
Required ingredients: –
• 900ml or 1 ½ pints of Vegetable mix ( Method of preparation is given below)
• 1 chopped onion
• 1 chopped zucchini
• 2 trimmed and chopped fennel bulbs
• Black pepper, preferably freshly ground
• 6 finely chopped tomatoes. Instead of that you can go for 400 g or 13 oz can tomatoes
• 1 chopped carrot
• 2 x 400 g or 13 oz cans of rinsed and drained butter beans
• 2 tablespoons of chopped sage
• 2 finely sliced garlic cloves
Method of preparation: –
• Take 300ml or ½ pint of vegetable mix in a big saucepan. Take carrot, garlic, zucchini, fennel, onion and add to the vegetable mix. Place the cover on saucepan and allow it to boil for 5 minutes. Then open the pan and allow it to boil on low heat for approximately 25 minutes until all the vegetables become tender.
• Take tomatoes, sage and beans. Stir them. Sprinkle pepper to enhance the taste and add it to the remaining portion of vegetable mix. Allow it to boil on low flame for 5 minutes. Then keep it to become slightly cool.
• Blend 300 ml or ½ pint of soup in a food processor to make the portion smooth. Take the smooth portion again into pan, boil and stir gently.
Vital tip: – Try to find “No added salt” variety of vegetables while buying canned. In case if you do not get that then rinse and drain the vegetables especially sweet corn and beans in order to remove some extent of salt.
Time for preparation of Vegetable Mix: – 20 to 25 minutes
Time for cooking Vegetable Mix: – Approximately 1 hour 45 minutes
Makes amount: – 2.7 liters or 4 ½ pints
Vital Statistics for Vegetable Mix: –
• 90 mg of Sodium
• Absolutely fat free.
Required ingredients for making Vegetable Mix (the quantity of 2.7 liters; 4½ pints): –
1. 3 medium leeks (sliced coarsely)
2. 3 medium sized onions (chopped roughly)
3. 5 roughly chopped medium sized carrots
4. 3 medium sized celery sticks roughly chopped
5. Sliced cabbage leaves (3)
6. 1 head of sliced lettuce
7. 1 bay leaf
8. 6 springs of flat leaf parsley with roughly chopped stems
9. 3 springs of thyme
10. 3.6 liters or 6 pints of cold water
Method of preparation of Vegetable Mix: –
• Slowly boil all the ingredients in a saucepan to skim off remaining scum. Allow the portion to boil on low flame for about an hour without disturbing or stirring the portion.
• Filter it properly but not to press any ingredient through strainer. Cover and refrigerate the portion after it becomes cool.