Cooking is considered to be a healing and a sacred act, as through it plays a key role in the nourishment of yourself and the people around you. To cook the food in the Ayurvedic manner, there isn’t a complicated process; all you require is a clean space and the required equipment. The below mentioned pointers will provide the details about the requirements. Have a look:
- Two skillets with lids. Iron can be the preferable metal.
- Two or more medium sized saucepans and a single large saucepan adorned with lids. The choice of metal can be stainless steel, copper or enamel, depending upon the needs of the individual.
- A four or six quart pressure cooker made from stainless steel and a stainless steel steamer.
- Two mixing bowls.
- More than one set of measuring spoon made from stainless steel.
- A non-stick pan for Kapha or the avid cooks of masala dosas.
For cooking Ayurvedically, you do not require an abundance of equipment, you can prepare a tasty dish with just a hot plate and a saucepan. Cooking with awareness and understanding the ingredients is the trick here.
For cooking, you just require recipe and the time in hand to prepare a dish. Each recipe carries the preparation time followed by execution. There are many recipes which require less than half an hour in preparation. The bean recipe, soaked overnight is quite beneficial to the people from the Vata constitution.
Have a look at the enthralling grocery list to get started:
- An ounce of black mustard seeds, if preparing for Pitta.
- One ounce of ground cumin and ground cinnamon.
- A cup of plain yogurt, either regular or low fat.
- One pound of unsalted ghee or butter
- One ounce of fenugreek and fennel seeds.
- One ounce of cardamom and turmeric.
- One ounce of high quality Madras curry powder.
- One quart goat, soy or cow milk.
- Fresh vegetables, grains and beans.
Once you get your hands on the required ingredients, it’s time to take action. For those who have never indulged in the Indian cooking, the long list could be terrifying. But worry not, using all the spices take just a fraction of a second. These recipes are liked by people of all the age brackets and are often termed as the balanced recipe.
Even the steps for preparing nearly three-fourths of the recipe are the same. The recipes always include, heating the pan and adding the required spices as mentioned in the recipe. Mustard seeds are usually added, which are heated till they pop up. Follow the recipe and keep adding the strings of ingredients. The amazing aspect about these recipes is that these recipes keep well for long duration.