Liquorice is a white and purple flowering perennial. It is the native of central and Southeast Asia and Mediterranean region.
This is a hardy plant that prefers moist and rich soil. The height of it may be between 3 – 7 ft. from ancient time liquorices is being used in China and many other countries. It is well-known in the entire world for its usage in confectionary. In various places of England it was cultivated and confectionary trade started here only because of it.
The dried root of liquorices looks like wood that is dried. It is very fibrous and very hard. You can detect it with its yellow interior and brown skin. It is available as a powder, as woody pieces of root, and as solid sticks. It is highly aromatic.
You can purchase bulk and pre-packed liquorices easily. Before going to buy it you should be well-known about the process of selecting the right one. It is best to go for the best companies that sell liquorices. You can expect good quality from a reputed and good manufacturer only. There are many kinds of liquorices available for you to choose from. Make sure that the liquorices you are going to take has actual flavor. You should never compromise with the qualities before purchasing it.
The culinary usage of liquorice is vast. There are many sweet recipes where it plays an important role. It has the capability to add extra flavor and taste to some of the sweet dishes. It is mostly known as confectionary flavoring.
- A major percentage of natural liquorices are used as flavoring agent in tobacco (pipe tobacco, cigars, and cigarette).
- You can dissolve sticks of licorice essence in hot water. This can be drunk as a tisane.
- The roots of it can flavor syrups, fruit juices and many other flavoring drinks like beers and sambuca.
- In many Indian dishes liquorices is used effectively.
You have to very conscious and careful while storing liquorice for culinary and medicinal usage. Otherwise it will lose its effectiveness. The dried root of it should be stored indefinitely and in dry place. Before using this root you have to slice or ground properly. The powdered licorice needs to be stored in a dry and air-tight container. Keep this container in dry place. Moisture can create bad effects on this powder. So, always keep it away from moist.
The medicinal usage of liquorice is greater than culinary usage. This is an herbal product that is being used in the world for many years to treat many kinds of diseases. In ayurvedic treatment it has grabbed an important role. From ancient time people use it only because of its positive effects on human body.
- It can create good effects in the treatment of colds, coughs and many kinds of bronchial irritations. It should be chewed to get relief from coughs and hoarseness.
- The mixture of same quantities of liquorice, sugar, honey, clarified butter, milk and fennel juice can stimulate sexual vigor. This mixture is considered as a preservative of life.
- It is well-known for anti-allergic and anti-inflammatory effects.
- Serum testosterone level can be decreased easily from the body of a man after the consumption of 7gm of liquorice for seven days only.
- Herbal preparations that contain good quality liquorice can be very much effective on stomach and intestinal ulcers. It can coat the wall of the stomach with protective gel. Side by side the acid level can also be reduced if it is taken properly.
- It one of most common components of various kind of herbal teas as a diuretic and mild laxative.
- The patients who are suffering from arthritis and rheumatism should take liquorices to get positive results.
- It can lower the level of blood sugar. On the other hand it is also able to be preventive for Addison’s disease.
- The mild estrogenic effects that are produced by root extract can be useful to treat symptoms of menopause. It is also very helpful to relieve menstrual cramps and to regulate menstruation.
You should never confused licorice root with confectionary licorice. No one should take it for a long period of time. You have to avoid it if you have high blood pressure. Taking licorice in high quantity can be responsible for hypertension. You should take it carefully and with great consciousness so that you can be safe physically.
Where to buy in US
in all the states in US you can easily get liquorice from the shop of grocer. Go for a reputed supermarket where you can easily get good quality of liquorice. You can also go for buying it through online. There are many companies that will provide it with good quality according to your demand. So, you do not have to worry about the availability of it in your location.
Nutritional and dietary information
It has many nutrients that can create positive effects on human body. Side by side all the other components that are present in it are also useful of all.
- It has components like choline, sterols, coumarins, saponins, lignins, and triterpenoids
- It includes yellow dye, protein, sugar, pentacyclic terpenes, phosphorous, para-aminobenzoic acid, pantothenic acid, estrogenic substances, lecithin, inositol, folic acid, biotin, and asparagines.
- Vitamins such as B1, B2, B3, B6 and E are present in it.
It can be concluded that every one should take liquorice because of its effectiveness both as a vital ingredient for cooking and also as an important remedy to cure certain physical problems. But you should be very careful to take it. It is best to consult with a doctor to know whether you should take it or not.
|Servings Size||1 Stick|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because it has not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|